Osteoporosis is an ailment that affects millions of people around the world. The tally merely in the United States touches an unhealthy 10 million people; of which 80% of these are women and the rest 20% are men. This is an ailment that is characterized by weak bones which is a result of reduced density (becomes more porous).
When we think of osteoporosis, we generally think of people, who are advanced in age, and rightly so that is the case often. As you age, your bones naturally lose strength and density and the risk of osteoporosis exponentially increases. You are more prone to fractures in doing the most routine of tasks due to this risk. While this is true to an extent, it is safe to say that osteoporosis is not only linked to age but has several other factors that determine its onset.
We are here to bring awareness of the increased risk of osteoporosis to those individuals amongst us, who have the conditions mentioned below. If you have these conditions, it doesn’t mean you will be affected, it just means that you need to be more careful regarding your health. Please read on…
Conditions That Increase The Risk To Osteoporosis
Rheumatoid arthritis is a form of autoimmune disease – a disease where the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks the healthy cells and tissues, as a result of considering them as being unhealthy. The link between Rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis are many, and much like osteoporosis, Rheumatoid arthritis does not have a cure. The only option is to manage symptoms and mitigate the pain. Rheumatoid arthritis accelerates bone loss due to chronic inflammation. As mentioned earlier, everyone loses bone mass as they age but those affected by Rheumatoid arthritis lose bone mass much faster.
Diabetes is a condition that affects 10.5% of the American population (i.e. 34 million people) – not a small number by any means. Diabetes restricts the bones from reaching ideal bone mass and increases the rate of bone loss. The way it works is as we near adulthood our bone mass increases until it reaches a maximum and from there on, it diminishes. If the maximum is lower, then the descent is faster and fractures are faster yet. Diabetes is also related to being overweight, which again increases the burden on the skeletal system and increases the risk of fracture. Patients who are diabetic must maintain proper sitting posture, exercise regularly, and keep a sharp eye on the weighing scales.
Dementia is also a condition that is prevalent in older ages and the reason is that they are connected. The risk for fracture and bone breaks in higher for those who have a cognitive disorder. Of all the ways that can increase the risk of fractures, falls are the most common with dementia. Proper attention and care are crucial to reducing the risk of fractures.
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Or COPD
Any lung disease that is progressive such as bronchitis and emphysema, comes under the cover of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. These diseases are characterized by inflammation and subsequent blocking of the airways. Some studies have been able to link below-average bone density for those having any of these conditions, when in conjunction with vitamin D deficiency and lowered physical activity. All of these bundled together to make those with COPD extremely susceptible to osteoporosis. Early diagnosis and continued treatment are what is required.
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
Inflammatory bowel diseases or in short IBD, are diseases affecting the digestive tracts by inflaming it and comes under the group of intestinal disorders. Another disease is Coeliac disease which is the condition wherein the small intestine is unable to absorb nutrients properly. Due to this, there is a severe deficiency in the levels of calcium, Vitamin B complex, Vitamin D, and many others. Overuse of corticosteroids over a prolonged time can also cause a degradation of the bone mass and increasing the chances of breakage.
This is a condition that causes the decreased functioning of the gonads. These are the ovaries for women and the testicles for men. When the gonads produce fewer hormones namely estrogen and testosterone respectively, there is an increased risk of osteoporosis. Menopausal women are more under duress and many studies point out the relationship between bone density and testosterone.
If you are the bearer of any of these conditions, you must place your mental and physical health and wellbeing as an utmost priority. Even if you are young and have been unfortunate enough to be diagnosed with any of the aforementioned conditions, you must maintain a healthy balanced diet, exercise more often, and have regular screenings at your doctor’s. Finger crossed, you won’t be affected by osteoporosis when you are older, but it is always safe than to be sorry… Do check out Complete Care Community Health Center for more info.